Sunday, July 29, 2007

Librarything vs. Shelfari – imho...

I had not realized until I set out to compare these two virtual library sites that I already had a librarything account left from a workshop I took last year at the Ocean County Library (where I work). Since it has gathered dust for a year, I took this opportunity to actually begin stocking my virtual shelves!

I like the friendly interface on librarything and all its abundant possibilities. Taking the tour again refreshed my memory, and I have had fun playing with it. They give so many choices, and though I am a bit overwhelmed by them, I prefer this to Shelfari. Librarything is well organized and comprehensive in its explanations. I realize this could just be my personal aesthetic. Personally, I did not care for the design of Shelfari; when I went to explore I did not like being greeted by the personal icons which I found distracting. I am more about the books than about the people, and not interested in seeing who joined, when they joined, etc. I am sure that if I subscribed I might appreciate it more, but since one of these sites is enough, I will stick with Librarything, with all due respect to those who prefer Shelfari.

No comments: